Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

July's People

Ugghhh!  Forgive me for such a short post.  March is my birthday month, and as such it has been one busy month for me.  Live music, frisbee in the park, wagon rides, goat petting, cupcake eating, coffee drinking and general lazing have taken up good chunks of my time.  And then there's the triumph of my son FINALLY starting to pee in the potty.  Sure, I've had a lot of fun, but it's taken me forever to get around to writing this blog entry.  Please forgive me if it's short and sweet; it is not a reflection upon the quality of the novel.

July's People is actually a fascinating look at South Africa during apartheid, and the relationship between a white couple and their African servant.  The Smales consider themselves to be very liberal, but when racial warfare breaks out and they have to flee to July's village, a spotlight is shined on the role race plays in their relationship.  It is definately an interesting read.

Hopefully, I will be selecting another novel shortly, but who knows-- garden-planting season is upon us.  And last I checked The Victory Garden book was not on the list of 501 Must-Read Books.